Position: Weekend Shelter Coordinator (shared alternating weekends and holidays)
- 4-year degree preferred.
- Experience working in social services setting.
- Experience working with homeless populations preferred.
The ideal candidate will embody:
- Commitment to serving those in need.
- Reliable and dependable attendance.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- High degree of initiative and autonomy.
- Stellar organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (required proficiencies in Microsoft Outlook & Word and willingness to learn client tracking database).
- Accurate record-keeping skills.
- A good sense of humor in a sometimes high-pressure environment.
- Appreciation and sensitivity for a culturally diverse staff and client base.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to perform routine manual work such as cleaning.
Weekend Shelter Coordinator oversees operations at the Day Center in Walnut Hills on alternating weekends. This position works independently on the weekend as the only staff member overseeing the facility. It requires a high degree of autonomy, problem-solving skills, initiative in times that seem slow and fast-thinking when times seem fast-paced and challenging. Primary responsibilities include keeping the shelter secure and overseeing safety and well-being of guests.
- See that children are supervised by parents at all times.
- Ensure that the building and surroundings are safe and secure at all times; check premises every 1½ hours.
- Answer the phone, open the door to greet visitors, and take messages.
- Make visitors and volunteers feel welcome, giving tours if scheduled, etc.
- Oversee sporadic weekend volunteers with assistance from Shelter Operations Coordinator.
- Process weekend donations.
- Communicate with Central Access Point on new family referrals.
- Conduct intakes as necessary.
- Communicate daily census details to hosting congregations via email and phone.
- Provide weekend care, when necessary, for any pets in residence, including feeding, letting out and cleaning kennels.
- Provide shelter guests with requested supplies.
- Make sure that amenities are stocked in bathrooms throughout building.
- Check lights, appliances, and equipment daily to make sure that they are safe and in operating order; report any dysfunctions to the Shelter Operations Coordinator.
- Open and close the Day Center using correct procedure as assigned.
- Make sure that the building and surroundings are “child-proof,” with all dangerous and hazardous materials locked up and inaccessible to children.
- Carry out other responsibilities as assigned.
Hours: 20 hours per week, alternating, Saturday & Sunday and IHNGC recognized holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas), 8am-5pm
Accountability: Accountable to the Director of Operations
Send cover letter and resume to Director of Operations, MerryBeth McKee, at email@example.com